Anyway, here's how we did our project:
Sarah. She is awesome at refinishing furniture and other DIY projects. (She just started blogging. Check her out)
And painted them. Let me just make a recommendation here - in hindsight, it probably would have been easier and less messy if we would have just spray painted the letters onto the table straight from the stencil. But at the time, it didn't even occur to me. However, if you do decided to trace from the stencils and paint them by hand, I would recommend that you have a good set of brushes - it makes a HUGE difference in how well you can paint the letters and stay within the lines. :)
Here is the finished project. I'm pleased with the results, but I learned a lot from this project. It was time consuming and it ended up costing a lot more than I realized.
Total cost including
- 3 chairs from Goodwill - $25
- paint brushes
- spray polyurethane
- small bucket polyurethane
- primer sealer
- 2 types of sandpaper
- sandpaper handle
- spray paint
$250 to $300 (at least) - I lost track of how much everything cost. Waaay more than I expected.
The purpose of this project was to redo our table in order to prevent spending money on a new one. But with all the time and money put into, we could have easily found a pretty decent one on Craigslist for the amount of money that we put into redoing our current one. But I like my table now, and at least I have a unique piece of furniture. So if you decide to do a project like this, make sure you have an accurate idea of how much it will cost.